Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bat Soup

I hate cooking and generally speaking, the speciality at my house is peanut butter and jelly or jelly with peanut butter and the choice of crust or no crust. But this time of year, I do enjoy a hot bowl of bat soup and when I saw these fun images at The Digi Shack, it reminded me of the recipe that has been handed down in my family for generations and decided to share it.  Its fairly easy to make (else this kid wouldn't make it), it just requires time to cook on the stove. Simple to make the recipe is as follows:

2,000 medium size bats
1 carrot
1 onion
1 pepper
1 duck egg

Place the bats, carrot, onion and pepper in a large pot and add enough water to cover (usually about 1 cup). Cook for 15 hours, do not remove the lid until it has cooked at least 12 hours.  The last half-hour of cooking, crack the duck egg into a small bowl and drop it into the mixture (careful not to get any of the shell) and finish cooking.  Serve with two or three week old crusty bread and maybe a small salad. If you prefer a salty taste add a cup or two of salt otherwise, omit salt. Of important note though, only use an egg from a duck otherwise, you will not have "quackers" in your soup.

Since its Showcase Wednesday at The Digi Shack, be sure to visit my fellow shack sistahs (their links  are located on my sidebar) and see if they have any good recipes.

20 comments:

  1. Cute card Tammy! Love the green goo floating on top of that cauldron.
    Ewwww...bat soup sounds disgusting! Lol ~jeni :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great recipe.:) And the card is just adorable, great coloring of that adorable bat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh, yuuum!!! Does the finished product look like the green stuff on your card??? LOL!!! I love your fun Halloween card, Tammy...the wild looking bat cracks me up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. how funny is this recipe..LOVE the bat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your cards, they always make me smile, and I agree with flip-flop creations does not sound that good to eat though
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think your bat is angry that he's on the menu! Great card...I think I'll pass on the soup!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG...LOL! I'll have to look for bats the next time I'm at Wegman's. I can't seem to attract them to my yard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ROFL.....oh I am so glad you're not having me over for a dinner you cooked! HA HA HA.

    This is great! The card is a hoot and your story to go with it is just too funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do believe you need to add 1 skull, and 500 spiders to each bat used.....I may be confusing that with the Mummy Mashed Potatoes!

    Great card!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Adorable Bat!!! Love this card Tammy! Thanks so much for the great recipe...can't wait to try it out!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely card, love the bat, hes so cute

    ReplyDelete
  12. You really need help!! LMBO I think you've gone "quackers"! ADORABLE project!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No bat soup for me - but I love your card!!! So cute.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can always count on you to make me laugh. I love this Bat Soup card. This card is really cute, love that bat.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bwahahahahahahaha!!! The card is fantabulous, lady! :O) Thanks for the giggles too!

    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  16. I made bat soup once, but the wood splinters kept getting stuck in my teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cute card!! Maybe I'll try the soup, just to freak out my kids!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Super cute card! Your blog posts may just be the most entertaining I have ever seen! Love it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!