Saturday, December 11, 2010

What time is it?

If by chance you were one of the lucky kids who sat in the Peanut Gallery, or part of the millions of children who watched from home, then you already know the answer, "It's Howdy Doody Time". What fun it was to watch the antics of Howdy and his pals, Buffalo Bob, Clarabell the Clown, Princess Summerfall Winterspring and Howdy's sister, Heidi Doody, to name a few.  "Howdy Doody Time" was a pioneer in children's programs that aired from 1947 until 1960, and was one of the first audience participation programs. Should you be wondering, no, I am far to young to remember "Howdy", but I do recall a member of my family (no names) did have a "Howdy Doody" spinoff.

Howdy's was a marionette with 48 freckles on his face, representative of each state in the Union at the time of his inception. Howdy had a stand-in for lighting rehearsals and personal appearances, his name was "Double Doody" and can be seen at the Smithsonian. Also there was "Photo Doody", a near stringless proxy used for personal appearances, photos, parades and the NBC test pattern. The original "Howdy" now resides at the Detroit Institute of Arts.

Of interesting note, Clarabell the Clown, was originally portrayed by "Captain Kangaroo" until he was fired over a salary dispute. Clarabell never spoke and only communicated by honking horns on her belt and squirting seltzer until the very last episode when she uttered her very first words, "Goodbye Kids".

The "Howdy Partner" image was created as the result of a new monthly challenge Stamping Dragon Designs has at their group on Crafter's Digital Art Center.  On the first day of each month, a new challenge will begin and end on the last day of the month which gives everyone plenty of time to create. This month we are using a sketch to make a male-theme creation. Also, "Howdy Partner" is available there as a freebie. Join us, please, the more the merrier.

12 comments:

  1. Fabulous card, Tammy! Love the way you colored is scarf! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Tammy this was an education. I use to watch this show and did now know His freckles represented the states. I did know that captain kangaroo was a marine. :)

    Love this card..

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow stunning interpretation with this fabulous image, love those boots and saddle amazing
    Hugs Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all the details you chose...they go great with your beautifully coloured image!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, so many wonderful memories! And I just have to tell you (as bad as I hate to admit something close to my age) I fondly remember Howdy! Loved that little guy.
    He's a cutie for sure and you really captured his "look" in your card. So very cute Tammy.
    LYnn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely card, thats a great image

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a darling card! I had no idea that Howdy had exactly 48 freckles. I don't remember watching the show (thankfully younger than that but not by much)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so adorable - and thanks for the trivia on Howdy Doody! I do remember bits and pieces about the show - though I think I was watching the reruns! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. girl--now isn't this just the cutest...I lvoe how bright and cheery it turned out...AWESOME card Tammy...I love it!!!

    Hugs
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely explanation for the images you have used.
    Was life simpler then?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Talk about a blast from the past....OMG, Tammy!!! I remember watching Howdy and his gang...thanks for all the details about the show. I had no idea Clarabell was the Captain and I just thought he had freckles because of the red hair.Your card is wonderful...Howdy is adorable!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!